homestead - Re: [Homestead] AHIPA: Exploring the Potential of a Sustainable Crop as a Food Source

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] AHIPA: Exploring the Potential of a Sustainable Crop as a Food Source
  • Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 18:56:42 -0500

On 9/11/06, Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com> wrote:

I've heard that too. There's also speculation that the Dairy Advisory
Board plays a great role in setting the RDA for calcium.

They probably did, but in fact the high-meat, high-protein American
diet requires more calcium than traditional diets where meat is rare
and reliance is on plant foods. Plus, traditional diets frequently
have a non-plant source of calcium. For example, the Chinese often use
a calcium salt to precipiate curd out of soy milk, and corn for
tortillas in treated with lime (as is hominy for that matter).

Can you picture getting a kid to eat 3/4
pound of kale or spinach a day?

Depends on the kid and what they're used to eating. Since my niece was
a baby, she would eat just about anything set in front of her. Imagine
a toddler who thinks horseradish is a vegetable.

In answer to the question, "why not look into the Chinese diet?" I can
only say that countless Asian staples will not grow here because of the
cool climate: peanuts, sesame, soybeans, not to mention rice.

Any traditional diet will probably do. For any civilization to be
successful, it needs a diet that won't cause major deficiencies. What
were the Indians eating in the Northwest before the settlers showed
up?

Marie