homestead - Re: [Homestead] AHIPA: Exploring the Potential of a SustainableCrop as a Food Source

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] AHIPA: Exploring the Potential of a SustainableCrop as a Food Source
  • Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 15:22:29 -0700

A lot of the "you need milk/dairy to 'x' amount of calcium or your bone will fall apart" is pure rot. It isn't only the Chinese, but most of the world that has done quite nicely without dairy. The dairy industry has done a great job of "selling" the need for milk.

I haven't touched milk since before I was 2 and I had a complete scan a couple of years ago because I refused to take Premerin and the docs got all hysterical. They ran the scan twice because part of the questionaire is about how much milk you have been drinking since birth. My 50+ year old bones were the equivalent of a 34 yo!

Then it was, well, you must be taking calcium supplements. Not! Sheesh, a nice balanced diet is what is needed!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>

Millions of Chinese have been getting enough calcium for thousands of
years. That may change now that they're eating more meat, but if you
keep your protein intake down to maintenance levels, you don't need
nearly so much calcium. I'd recommend looking at the traditional
Chinese diet.

Marie