homestead - Re: [Homestead] AHIPA: Exploring the Potential of a Sustainable Crop as a Food Source

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] AHIPA: Exploring the Potential of a Sustainable Crop as a Food Source
  • Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 06:41:22 -0700

Marie McHarry wrote:

On 9/8/06, Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com> wrote:
<<People who can't keep
dairy animals or use dairy products, for whatever reason, should eat two
servings of deep-green leafy vegetables each day. I'm sure if you
consult the nutrition tables, you'll see there's no other natural way to
get enough calcium. >>

Millions of Chinese have been getting enough calcium for thousands of
years. That may change now that they're eating more meat, but if you
keep your protein intake down to maintenance levels, you don't need
nearly so much calcium. I'd recommend looking at the traditional
Chinese diet.

Marie

I've heard that too. There's also speculation that the Dairy Advisory Board plays a great role in setting the RDA for calcium.

Speaking of whom, who's threatened by garlic mustard the most? Cattle apparently aren't objecting to it, but you see, it makes their milk taste like garlic. This is the prime source of the hysteria over it. But it's easily eliminated by tillage, if only the dairy farms today weren't overgrazed monocultures.

I've looked at the numbers again, and a non-lactating adult would probably get about half the necessary calcium from caloric staples, making it necessary only to have one daily 4 oz. serving of some magic bullet veggie like dark-colored greens (or four times that many green onions or some combination thereof, like the cilantro-green onion pork filling for wontons). But if you look at the RDA for teenagers and children, it's twice that. Can you picture getting a kid to eat 3/4 pound of kale or spinach a day?

I think we've stumbled onto something interesting. I heard once that babyfood per se is unknown in Asia, and children just breast-feed until they're able to eat adult food, which is always chopped anyway, or things like soft tofu and rice gruel.

I wonder which flavoring kids prefer in their mid-winter ravioli, garlic mustard sauerkraut, or the usual smelly, cabbagey kind.

In answer to the question, "why not look into the Chinese diet?" I can only say that countless Asian staples will not grow here because of the cool climate: peanuts, sesame, soybeans, not to mention rice. Actually I retain hope for growing all but the latter in greenhouses, once we've got it all together, but there's still zero data on that. So my point is, since nature is against us anyway, you can imagine how much I love hearing that I can't grow something because of someone else's inappropriate land management practices. In the case of filberts, they're the most practical way of getting vitamin E, just as garlic mustard is the most practical way to get enough calcium. Maybe we could eat ashes for our calcium. I'm fed up. I'm not going to be controlled like this, over some imaginary stinky-milk calamity that *might* happen (if garlic mustard could ever survive through a dry summer), nor over a botanist's desire to live in a natives-only dream world.

Bill
S. Oregon coast