homestead - Re: [Homestead] AHIPA: Exploring the Potential of a SustainableCrop as a Food Source

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] AHIPA: Exploring the Potential of a SustainableCrop as a Food Source
  • Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 15:40:27 -0700

that's the problem with a place like ours. Our land is naturally terraced and has four levels. Each level seems to have its own micro-climate and the bottomland has a season stream and a year round stream. You wouldn't think some of the plants would do well here that do on the bottomland or that do well on the west facing slopes.

Now, a real wonder is that I brought redwood trees with me. They LOVE it and have grown over a foot a year! Absolutely should not do that! Same with my native rhodies and azaleas from the coast. I even have a couple of native grasses from the coast (I dead head them so they won't spread since they unaccountably seem to love it here, go figure!).

the pampus grass is spread by crazy people who take the plumes home and use them for decorations. It is all up and down the coast highways and the inland highways. Saw some when we went up to Crater Lake, also. A road crew was out digging it up.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Jones" <billj AT harborside.com>
Yeah, it's hard for me to keep track of which weed goes with which form
of agriculture. I remembered almost as soon as I sent it, that star
thistle is a problem associated with ranching; the alfalfa people have
their other weeds represented on the list. But then, no one ever
_wanted_ to grow star thistle, that I know of. I'll bet that none of
the "invasive" plants that I've praised would survive the summer unaided
at your place, unless you have a stream bed for them.

Did someone plant the pampas grass at your site? It's shocking to me
that it's still sold at nurseries. It must be one of their big money
makers. The central coast of California is now overwhelmed by it, but I
didn't think it had reached too far inland as a weed. For some reason
it doesn't sprout from seed where I live very readily, but I may have
noticed a few at the immediate coast. Can you imagine planting that BS
over acacia (I was told by some pampas zombs at a local nursery, that
because acacia does too well here, I'm not "allowed" to plant it)?
There's no record of acacia ever sprouting from seed here, but some
influential pundit down in Monterey must have made a pronouncement.