homestead - Re: [Homestead] AHIPA: Exploring the Potential of a SustainableCrop as a Food Source

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] AHIPA: Exploring the Potential of a SustainableCrop as a Food Source
  • Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 15:23:08 -0700

We had a whole slew of Canadian and a couple of other thistles at one place we had. The folks who owned the place before us had a dairy. Cattle are great spreaders of thistle seed. However, the horses liked to eat the flowers and within a couple of years we had no thistles.

Star thistles on the other hand are a major problem as they are deadly for horses. We are currently removing star thistle from our place. We've cleared 6 acres so far. Patience and pray the back doesn't give out and we'll get rid of the rest of it!

Got rid of the scotch broom, the Russian pea and the pampus grass ~~sigh~~ I'm tired <g>

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gloria Morris" <gloriamorris59 AT gmail.com>

One person's weed is another's useful herb.

snip<.

Back in Illinois, I did battle with Canadian thistle and won. We bought 30
acres of land with a serious infestation of Canadian thistle that had almost
completely overtaken pasture and alfalfa fields. Brush hogging was not
enough to control it. I ended up spraying the individual plants with vinegar
to kill them, as that way I had minimal kill of the desired grasses, and the
grasses quickly filled in the spots where the thistle had been. It took a
long time to spray the whole 30 acres by hand (OMG did it take time!!!!!!!),
but the results were outstanding. Where the thistle wasn't invasive, I
imagine that many folks would appreciate the plant in smaller colonies.