homestead - Re: [Homestead] AHIPA: Exploring the Potential of a Sustainable Crop as a Food Source

  • From: WILLIAM <billymegab AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] AHIPA: Exploring the Potential of a Sustainable Crop as a Food Source
  • Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 12:11:35 -0700 (PDT)

Canadian Thistle......Now now! No disparaging Canadian remarks PLEASE!
Canada Geese on the other hand....now that's a whold other matter

William
(deep in the Canadian heartland)
Thistle From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

flowering Thistle

Thistle is the common name of a polyphyletic group of flowering plants
characterised by leaves with sharp spines on the margins, mostly in the plant
family Asteraceae.
The thistle, in particular Onopordum acanthium (the cotton thistle or
Scotch thistle), is the national flower of Scotland, and is featured in many
Scottish symbols and logos. Legend has it that a Viking attacker stepped on
one at night and cried out, so alerting the defenders of a Scottish castle.
Genera in the Asteraceae with the word thistle often used in their common
names include:

Arctium – Burdock
Carduus – Thistle
Carlina – Carline thistle
Centaurea – Star thistle
Cicerbita – Sow thistle
Cirsium – Thistle
Cnicus – Blessed thistle
Cynara – Artichokes, Cardoon thistle
Echinops – Globethistle
Notobasis – Syrian thistle
Onopordum – Cotton thistle, also known as Scotch thistle
Scolymus – Golden thistle or oyster thistle
Silybum – Milk thistle
Sonchus – Sow thistle
.

Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com> wrote:
My God, Bev, we're already guilty! Everyone who has a Himalayan
blackberry in the hedgerow is a criminal. Can skyrocketing weed killer
stock dividends be far behind?

Thanks for alerting us to the extent of the nannies' fascism. This is
the vegetable kingdom's NAIS, and its insidious appearance in our
once-free society stems from the same nanny principle. Some people
believe in banning everything which *might* cause harm for someone
somewhere. I once argued with one kook on this list until she admitted
that she would like to see matches and lighters banned, because they
*might* cause harm.

Now for a dose of reality. It's very unlikely that kudzu would thrive
here without constant watering. This part of Oregon is bone-dry in
summer. I predict it doesn't stand a chance. If it ever did thrive
here, it's easily eradicated by cattle (as is Himalayan berry, after a
single mowing). Contrast this with Canadan thistle (or gorse, if you're
right on the beach), our one true weed (which I'm now a criminal for
ignoring as I passed it in the pasture this morning).

What I love is when the fantasy-land do-gooders try to tell us, for
instance, that it's necessary to kill all the fish in a river, so that
they can eradicate the "non-natives" (even if they're feeding people).
Then there's another set of kooks who believe that pornography has to
banned, because it *might* cause a rape. Think of how it could enhance
one's tight-fisted control over both spouse and children, to bring back
the good ol' laws against fornication!

Something's got to be done to keep our nannies from taking over.

Signed,
Shocked in Oregon

http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/homestead/billymegab%40yahoo.com