homestead - Re: [Homestead] AHIPA: Exploring the Potential of a Sustainable Crop as a Food Source

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] AHIPA: Exploring the Potential of a Sustainable Crop as a Food Source
  • Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 11:46:56 -0700

My God, Bev, we're already guilty! Everyone who has a Himalayan blackberry in the hedgerow is a criminal. Can skyrocketing weed killer stock dividends be far behind?

Thanks for alerting us to the extent of the nannies' fascism. This is the vegetable kingdom's NAIS, and its insidious appearance in our once-free society stems from the same nanny principle. Some people believe in banning everything which *might* cause harm for someone somewhere. I once argued with one kook on this list until she admitted that she would like to see matches and lighters banned, because they *might* cause harm.

Now for a dose of reality. It's very unlikely that kudzu would thrive here without constant watering. This part of Oregon is bone-dry in summer. I predict it doesn't stand a chance. If it ever did thrive here, it's easily eradicated by cattle (as is Himalayan berry, after a single mowing). Contrast this with Canadan thistle (or gorse, if you're right on the beach), our one true weed (which I'm now a criminal for ignoring as I passed it in the pasture this morning).

What I love is when the fantasy-land do-gooders try to tell us, for instance, that it's necessary to kill all the fish in a river, so that they can eradicate the "non-natives" (even if they're feeding people). Then there's another set of kooks who believe that pornography has to banned, because it *might* cause a rape. Think of how it could enhance one's tight-fisted control over both spouse and children, to bring back the good ol' laws against fornication!

Something's got to be done to keep our nannies from taking over.

Signed,
Shocked in Oregon

SISU! wrote:

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:GEBV1TDM_YwJ:www.oregon.gov/ODA/PLANT/docs/pdf/603_052_1200.pdf+kudzu+transport+sale+oregon&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1

Bill, check out section 4a-4c on the above page. It is illegal to purchase Kudzu in the state of Oregon. Just trying to keep you out of trouble....

Bev

Bill Jones wrote:

I did manage to find a source for kudzu, another leguminous root crop that we've thought about: