homestead - Re: [Homestead] opinions wanted...salt or ascorbic acid

  • From: "SISU!" <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] opinions wanted...salt or ascorbic acid
  • Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 16:52:59 -0400

Lisa K.V. Perry wrote:

Our pears are not ready yet, still a week or two away for the seckles

(smaller, dessert pear) which ripen on the tree.

I thought pears should ripen off the tree. I remember reading that if
they ripen on the tree, they develop the grit cells that turn people
off. Is a Seckel not gritty at all? Maybe it just depends on the
variety of pear as to whether or not they are better ripened on or off
the tree?
Ours are Kieffer, the old standard homestead variety-nothing fancy. We
picked them several weeks ago and canned some halves last week.
Yesterday, I made pear butter as well as cooked some in a light syrup
for the refrig-just to eat. It was all supposed to be canned, but I got
lazy on the peeling and just put the things through the Victorio and
made pear butter instead. I still have over a bushel-about 60-70 pounds
that have been wrapped in newspaper ripening in a large box now for
almost 3 weeks.
I've got two "students" coming to help me peel and core and can the
rest, hopefully at the first part of next week. The thought of peeling
and coring all those pears without help makes me tired just thinking
about it! I know, I know....cowboy up and just do it if they don't
show, but I *really* need their help. They better show up...I think I
can count on one, but not sure about the other person....

Bev
--
erthnsky AT bellsouth.net BevanRon of EarthNSky Farm NW Georgia USDA Zone 7
34.498N 85.076W