homestead - Re: [Homestead] question by ignorant rube

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] question by ignorant rube
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 17:53:38 -0500

On 8/18/06, rayzentz AT aim.com <rayzentz AT aim.com> wrote:
Orem Utah is where I now reside. Mountain valleys. We have been picking >some, and
some of the ones we pick aren't ready, and some are. Look ripe, but >solid and
bland. softer ones are great. So, I have been checking by feel. >those that give
slightly when gently squeezed, we pick. I was just wondering if >there was a better
way. Do they ripen off the tree, if we pick them early?

Hmmm. I'd go by feel then. Peaches will ripen some after they're
picked, but you don't want to pick them way early. I think your best
bet is to keep a log of which trees ripened when.

Marie