homestead - Re: [Homestead] opinions wanted...salt or ascorbic acid

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] opinions wanted...salt or ascorbic acid
  • Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 17:50:07 -0400

On 8/17/06, SISU! <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net> wrote:

I planted two different varieties of bush cherries this year and even with
the drought, I'm surprised at how well they are doing. I love cherry
jam....and cherry pie........cobblers....There's something about
fruit that really makes life good, ya know?

I agree. This was the first year in four that I didn't go pick cherries at
Levering Orchard in Mount Airy, NC. I usually come home with a big 5 gallon
bucket of whatever kind of cherry is ready to pick (sour cherries, yellow
wax cherries or black cherries) and make cobbler (or pie) filling out of
them. Then all I have to do is dump my quart jar into a pan and make the
cobbler dough (topping) and put it in the oven. I will really miss not
having cherries when the weather gets colder.

We have one lone small cherry tree, planted by the former owner next to a
mulberry tree. It is growing, one day--in thirty years--it will be huge.
We also have two white peach trees, but just one produces and half the fruit
succumbs to brown rot. They are close to being ready. With all this fruit,
I still wish we had cherries, but my husband thinks I'm totally nuts to want
more fruit. I'd trade half our apple trees for just one productive cherry
tree--but I remind myself that I'm very thankful and appreciative for what
we have.

Lisa