homestead - Re: [Homestead] Blurbs and other random thoughts

  • From: Viking <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Blurbs and other random thoughts
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 16:13:54 -0400

That's too funny, Lynn. I don't wear a bra either, unless we are having
company or I have to go into town, and even then, I am only likely to
wear one less than 50% of the time, and what *are* panty hose??? <g>
The jeans I have on are also hand me downs, grass covered and dusty at
present from weedeating. I usually wear sweats, even in the summer, but
for mowing and weedeating, I wear jeans. My legs are as white as a
vampire's butt, and probably hairier since I don't shave them but maybe
once in a blue moon.<g> Who cares? A few weeks back, my daughter
convinced me to paint my toenails-actually, she painted them for me
while I was at her house....Ron didn't even notice them, even after I
asked for a footrub....lol.....BUT my neighbor did notice and ragged the
Hell out of me...lol...

I'll bet your mother was the one who said that to you-it sounds like
something a mother would say...

Bev

Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:
Bev; Teehee...we ARE twins separated at birth. It never occured to me
to worry about what it's like to wear makeup in the heat. I don't
even wear a bra. I haven't warn pantyhose in 15 years. I wear mostly
men's jeans (from Goodwill) because they are better made than women's
jeans. And I can't even make grocery bags out of them because I wear
them until they rot off.

I was recently reminded that if I ever expect to have a date before I
die, I should start brushing my hair and getting the dirt off my face
before I go into town. I say "here I am, men, take it or leave it!"
(so far they are leaving it).

Lynn Wigglesworth Cowbridge Farm

----- Original Message ----- From: "Viking" <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net> To: "Homestead List" <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org> Sent: Thursday,
July 13, 2006 2:24 PM Subject: [Homestead] Blurbs and other random
thoughts

A couple of days ago, while watching the news, I saw a quip from
Katie Couric that got me to thinking...She was speaking in Houston,
TX, I believe-might have been DFW area, and the narrator of the
piece remarked about how hot it was in Texas, upper 80's with high
humidity. First, that's not really that hot for Texas in the
summer, but I suppose for non-Southerners, it might be Hell. ;)
Anyway, Couric said that 'she felt the pain of the girls in the
audience-how in the world do you manage hair and makeup in this
heat?' She got a rousing applause of recognition. It caught my
attention because it was something that I never even considered
would be an issue for women since I don't use any kind of hair
products other than shampoo and I don't wear any makeup. I sweat-just like everyone else. It gave me pause to think just how
far, mentally, I am from the rest of the population, that I don't
even THINK about such-had never even considered it. It just seems
like a shallow thing from my perspective, but I suppose for some
women who work in a professional environment, it would be an issue.
But I thought, man, Couric is beautiful and doesn't need
makeup...why does she participate in this ritual, consumerist
mindset? Doesn't she know that sweating is good for your health
and that all those products require petroleum to make and animals
to test them on? Doesn't she know that a wet towel on the neck is
a cheap way to stay cool? Conservation, it seems to me, begins and
ends with personal choices, and it may be something as simple as
not wearing makeup. It also seems very interconnected, too, in
that a person who lobbies against the fur trade and for animal
rights will often wear makeup or use products tested on animals.
Now, please don't get me wrong, I'm not against animal testing or
petroleum use, I'm just pointing out the irony of it all. Couric
probably drives a trendy hybrid car, yet still uses hairspray from
a can with petroleum derived propellants, or a pump spray from a plastic bottle. Plastics are made from petroleum, ya know. I
always choose paper bags at the store, and one of the reasons I
don't shop at Walmart very often is because they don't have paper
bags. I hate those plastic things. It all comes down to simple,
everyday choices. One day, I would like to sew my own bags and
avoid the whole bag thing altogether. I think I would use old jeans
since denim is strong and old jeans are pretty much in abundant
supply around here. Maybe this winter, I'll search for a pattern
for a flat bottom grocery type bag with

handles.

Bev

-- erthnsky AT bellsouth.net BevanRon of EarthNSky Farm NW Georgia
USDA Zone 7 34.498N 85.076W