homestead - Re: [Homestead] Rabbit math

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Rabbit math
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 19:29:46 EDT

In a message dated 6/28/2006 7:11:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
genegerue AT ruralize.com writes:

> I also like that they are easier to clean than chickens.

Far easier. Sometimes we skin chickens rather than pluck them, but the
rabbits are still easier.

> Set-up costs? Pens, watering equipment, etc. I could build elevated
> pens but suspect commercially built is substantially better. What
> square footage per animal is optimal?

Seven square feet or so for buck and nine square feet for doe with unweaned
bunnies. I've not counted nor prorated setup costs, and it's nothing to
sneeze
at. I'm using a lot of all wire cages now and it's difficult to get the cost
below $25. The cages are on old benches make of two landscaping timbers
that were formerly used to support bee hives. I also built 3'x3' panels out
of
wire over 2x2 frames which make a skirt for the cages to sit on. Pullets and
cockrels go into the bottom and rabbits or hatchlings in the cages on top.
Any
feed or tidbits the hatchlings or rabbits let fall through the cage bottom
are grabbed up by the chickens below. Rabbits always urinate in one corner
of
the cage so it isn't as messy as it sounds. After a couple rounds of animals,
move the whole lot to new ground and scoop up the mixed manure and haul it to
the garden.

A wire cage will last longer than ten years most of the time so that amounts
to a $2.50 rental on the cage a year. Feeders and waterers are all homemade.

I should mention that my scheme of no cash (for feed) method is seasonal. It
is based on raising a lot of rabbits, as it werem when the sun shines and
then just wintering over the breeding stock. Rabbits freeze and can quite
well.
Haven't tried salted rabbit but no reason it wouldn't be good.