homestead - Re: [Homestead] Rabbit math

  • From: Bevanron <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Rabbit math
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 01:38:03 -0400

Marie McHarry wrote:
I can always go out with the
.22 and hunt up a bunny if I get the urge, but I don't really see a point in raising rabbits if they don't taste much different from chicken.

Woooo. Saved again.

I have both, and like to eat both interchangeably. The chickens give
eggs as a plus to help balance things, but I am gonna list 10 reasons
why rabbits work better than chickens on a homestead..
1. Mammals are easier to clean than birds
2. Breeding them is easier-they practically perpetuate themselves
3. Rabbits need less space than chickens
4. Rabbits are quiet and don't crow in the middle of the night<g>
5. They can be raised indoors or outdoors
6. Rabbit hides are more useful than chicken feathers
7. Rabbit poop is cold poop and can be added directly to crops without
composting
8. You can sell your excess rabbits(to herpers, as pets, as food, etc.)
and recover money for feed costs-hard to do that with chickens
9. You won't have to worry about bird flu....lol..
10. Rabbits have personalities like cats....most hens are just hens,
hard to have a personality when your brain is the size of a large BB.

:)

Bev

--
erthnsky AT bellsouth.net BevanRon of EarthNSky Farm NW Georgia USDA Zone 7
34.498N 85.076W