homestead - Re: [Homestead] Rabbit math

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Rabbit math
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 22:46:12 -0500

First, I want to thank Bev for reviving the homestead part of this list!

Now, about rabbits -- my late husband had pet rabbits when he was a
boy so rabbits were always off the table. I might as well have asked
him to eat one of the cats.

The one thing I notice is that everyone apparently raises rabbits in
cages. Would it be possible to raise them in a chicken tractor and
take advantage of pasture? Any reason why that isn't done.

I've never eaten domestic rabbit, but we used to have wild rabbit in
season when I was a child (not as much as ducks and geese, but I'm
descended from a long line of waterfowl hunters). These days, the
rabbits are scarce on the ground because we have so many coyotes. In
fact, the only place to reliably find a tender, young rabbit is in
town eating the citizens perennials.

Marie, ignorant of rabbit husbandry