homestead - Re: [Homestead] Rabbit math

  • From: Bevanron <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Rabbit math
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 16:15:20 -0400

rayzentz AT aim.com wrote:

Hey Bev, just a thought...

I am a member of the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) here in Utah (the Kingdom of Artemesia).

I'm too lazy to do a search...is this one of those re-enactment groups?
Middle Ages stuff?
I know I have seen this on other lists...

I believe there would be a market
for tanned rabbit skins among some of my associates, not only here but around the known world. Suggest a price, and I will evaluate interest via several e-lists. Of course, this is only if you wish.

I'll count what I have and get back to you. I don't think I could
supply tanned skins on a continuous basis, because, like I mentioned
earlier, the younger rabbits, the butcher rabbits, have thin skins that
are hard to tan. I pretty much only save the skins from the older bucks
and does that we process, and any wild rabbits my neighbors happen to
shoot, so I don't have a reliable supply. I end up tanning about every
other year or so, 5 or 6 skins at a time.
I have no idea of how much to charge per skin, either.
Just out of curiosity, for Lynn's sake, would members of your group be
interested in sheep and cow's hide? Deer? Goatskin?

Bev, painting again today...

--
erthnsky AT bellsouth.net BevanRon of EarthNSky Farm NW Georgia USDA Zone 7
34.498N 85.076W