homestead - Re: [Homestead] Seed catalogs

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Seed catalogs
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 07:43:54 -0600

I'm now debating whether to spend the extra money to ensure that the seeds are clean from insecticides. Any opinions?

The amount of residual herbicide or pesticide on seeds will be inconsequential. Buy seeds that give you the food qualities you want. Heirloom has become a marketing buzz word. You want non-hybrid seeds, so you can save your own, which saves you money, makes you more self-sufficient, and ensures a supply of the seeds that produce the veggies you like to eat. The big seed companies sell hybrid seeds. Hybrid seeds do offer disease resistance, but that's another issue altogether; I'll start a separate thread on that. The big seed companies want you to reorder with them each year. They will produce seed only because of profits. So they may well stop selling seeds of something you especially like.