homestead - Re: [Homestead] Seed catalogs

  • From: "Rob Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Seed catalogs
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 10:17:28 -0500

Got a question about the type of seeds to buy. I have found "heirloom" and
"organic" seeds as of late, and the heirlooms are less expensive. I'm now
debating whether to spend the extra money to ensure that the seeds are
clean from insecticides. Any opinions?

Best wishes,
Melody

Since most of what I am looking for are open-pollinated seeds so that I can save seeds from what grows well for me, I've decided to go with price where it makes sense. For example, Gurney's had an offer for $25 off an order of $50 or more. I ordered $50 and got a 50% discount. I need to stretch my $$. Some seeds I got from Harris with a similar offer. They are treated.

Now the militant organic people will tell me that I am not supporting companies that are in the "seed preservation" or "organic" movement. Being a realist, I still need to stretch $$. That little bit of chemical on the seeds is probably going to mean less to me than continuing to eat vegetables from the grocery.

I still like to support the smaller companies that maintain and distribute older varieties. I also notice that they seem to be quicker to get the seeds packed and shipped.

Rob -Va