homestead - [Homestead] Hybrid seed disease resistance

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: "homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org" <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Hybrid seed disease resistance
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 07:47:36 -0600

Hybrid seeds--tomatoes are a good example--offer resistance to various plant diseases. We give that up when we use non-hybrid seeds. There are viable offsets: plant more seeds and let disease and the bugs and birds get a larger share but you still get what you want. Keep planting your own seeds and select each year those fruits that did the best, then save seeds from them. And the biggie: learn how to garden better, growing plants that are so damn strong that they resist well normal onslaughts.