homestead - Re: [Homestead] Seed catalogs

  • From: "Rob Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Seed catalogs
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 14:20:59 -0500

The way I see it is that by doing that you ARE supporting the seed
preservation and organic movement. Oh, perhaps not supporting someone's grant-mongering
self serving out to save us all operation (and income), but every plant that
grows from a saved OP seed is that much of a boost to the organic movement.

That is the way I look at it. Being self-sufficent in the seed are ais a good thing.

my best line
of tomatoes are from San Marzano seeds I originally got at WalMart for 10
cents.

Yes and you can find seeds after the season like that all the time. If you store them dry, they last a long time.

A couple more miscellany on this: The local Mexican 'tiendas' and the
oriental food market had a wonderful array of different garlics and shallots from
which I've propogated a stash of bulbs.

I kind of am a little crazy about wanting to grow named varieties. My aunt thinks so. She just saves some seed from a ripe pepper or tomato from the market if she is lacking seeds. Those tend to get mixed up with the seeds she saved from last year's crop. Dives me batty and I'll probably be a little more organized in my saving. However, she always has a good crop of peppers and tomatos. Just never knows exactly what she'll get. You should see her squash..surprise every year!

There are really a lot of resources for seeds.

I'm in touch with a couple of sources for trading seed. And I like that also. I always have more than I can plant :>)

Rob -Va