homestead - Re: [Homestead] The GOP on government spending: Borrow 'til the Chinese own us!

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT dtnspeed.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The GOP on government spending: Borrow 'til the Chinese own us!
  • Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 21:15:35 -0500

Rob: Show me how the fed is getting almost 40% of what I earn.

Bill: That's a combination of average sales taxes, state and federal income
taxes, FICA, etc. It doesn't make sense to add in property taxes,
because there's nothing there that's proportional to income.

Marie: Government is certainly getting a big chunk of everyone's income, and
I see no reason not to count property tax, since even renters pay it via
higher rents. OTOH, when I look at my pay stub, a tidy sum also goes to
health insurance and state retirement. I figure I'm getting services back
from all the taxes I pay as well as for the other deductions. Before you can
assess the impact of taxes, you have to figure what getting the services you
need -- roads (federal, state & county), education (even if you don't have
kids you want the next generation to be educated enough to stay off welfare
and provide decent services like teaching, medical care, etc.), etc. --
would cost if it was all privately funded. Realistically, most of us would
die young if we weren't part of an insured group. That might not be a bad
thing, but if that's what we want, we should discuss it before it's imposed.

And another point, what's wrong with those who have prospered under the
system contributing to keep the system operating? Almost certainly, anyone
in a position of power today had some help getting there. A huge number of
high achievers went to the City College of New York back when it was both
free and excellent. What an investment!

But I begin to rant.

Marie