homestead - Re: [Homestead] Would that be the direct line marked gold?

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Would that be the direct line marked gold?
  • Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2005 08:43:17 -0500

I find it telling that in this thread, the latest installment in the
continuing daytime drama of Bush Bashing, no one has taken the time to mention that Bush denies that he said that.

I've not seen that. What's your source? I did see where his press secretary said that he didn't say it. Plausible deniability. In this case, the original statement of the men who said it fits Bush's history like a glove. I just typed "Bush talks to god" in Google and 5,240,000 hits.

How would it go over if we bandied about, "Press relaese, "God told me (fill in the blank)", Gene Gerue tells the meter reader who told his cousin who told the baby sitter's boyfriend, so we know it's a reliable source.

Not plausible. I, too, have a track record clear to see. Nobody would believe that any god spoke to me or that I would ever make such a claim. Although I have had some earnest, short interfaces with Mother Nature--does that count?--wherein I berated her for the weather. She typically ignores me and continues to flood or evaporate the garden.

In this case we have two high-level officials who met with Bush as the source. Direct from them to the reporter.

Quite frankly I really don't give a damn whether he said those words or not. He has been open about his born-again status. It is one of the precious few things he has not been duplicitous about. He should wear little gold telephones on his shoulders. Would really appeal to the base.

What you call Bush bashing I call a citizen's duty.