homestead - Re: [Homestead] B. C.'s Latest Acheivements

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT dtnspeed.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] B. C.'s Latest Acheivements
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 21:12:12 -0500

<<They want to provide the feds with personal information. There is NO opt
out clause.>>

There is, actually. We can tell the Feds to take their money and shove it.
The amount of Title 1 money that Illinois gets is a miniscule amount of what
the state and local governments kick in.

NCLB is so over-reaching that I expect it will not survive more than another
couple of years. In the meantime, states will fuss with the feds (and
continue to get their money), and in the end a coalition of Rs and Ds will
scrap the more heinous parts.

The requirement that all schools make a certain percentage of progress every
year flies in the face of what is possible. Only in Lake Woebegon are all
the children above average.

I see this as a direct result of poor math and science education in our
schools. The legislators don't have a flipping clue.

Marie