homestead - Re: [Homestead] Rob's VA progress?

  • From: clhw AT InfoAve.Net (clhw)
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Rob's VA progress?
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 10:07:11 -0500

Rob -- I believe you are moving from a hot climate to a colder one?
You may not be aware of the role ambient temperature plays in constructing
wire fences. Cold weather means the wire contracts; hot means it expands.
That can make the difference between a fence pulling shallow staples out of
posts and wire which is sagging. We usually tried to do fencing
construction, when we use barbed wire or field fence in spring or fall.
Other chores like posthole digging, clearing the fence line, etc., can be
done in hot or cold weather but the wire needs to be done in moderate
weather. You can do it during the extreme time and make allowances, but
that takes forethought and experience, I think.