homestead - [Homestead] Working wood by hand

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Working wood by hand
  • Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 10:32:14 -0700

Then I was reading about how the Norse made those marvelous overlap constructed ships. How did they get the planks? The answer was that they rived them. Split them with froes from the log. Now there's a possibility for my rather modest needs! So I am going to take some wedges and froes and some of the very straight grained sections
of wood and give it a try.

I have used a froe to split oak shingles and then a drawknife to smooth and taper them on a three-legged shaving horse I made--lots of Zen minutes doing such work. Now those shingles were relatively short, which work is suitable for a froe. The way to make planks is with an axe to start the split, then wedges and gluts struck with a long-handled maul made of hickory or dogwood. Never strike a wood glut with a metal tool. The best mallets and gluts I have made are from dogwood cut just below the dirt line where the root knot fans out. That gnarly stuff is very hard and does not come apart. Use the sky end for the handle. Shape, then let dry in a cool, dark place for a long time and it will become hard as a rock. Do not use your wood gluts to start a split; you will ruin the tips.

To work a rived plank down to usable condition I would use a hewing adze. Wear your heaviest boots to protect your toes.

Btw, I have not yet done it, but I believe old leaf springs would make good froes. Use hickory for the handle.