homestead - [Homestead] Hype

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Hype
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 19:59:36 -0700

Hype: carefully presenting and emphasizing one side of a question while
minizing the contrary side.

So, simply promotional? I wonder if it comes from hyperbole.

For example, you are a confessed optimist but I wonder what
your view of the notion that there is a serious "housing bubble" would be if you didn't depend on real estate transactions? It's a koan of course,
unanswerable.

If my plan plays out, I will soon have the perspective of a former Realtor. I, too, will find it interesting to see how my views evolve.

And as far as me believing what I write .... not a word of it! I seriously
doubt the lot. Oh I believe the stuff I say I've done on my farm because I
have the pictures to back it up .... but the rest ... probably just hype.

So hype is based on something other than experience. What is the motivation to hype, to carefully emphasize one side of a question and to minimize the other?

I find it interesting that I feel a negative connotation while you may not. Not sure where my negative reaction comes from. As a wordsmith I like to use words of known quality. This one seems to roam around the room seeking a spot to sit. Could be positive, could be negative. Perhaps it is because of the uncertainty of meaning that I do not use it much.