homestead - [Homestead] Humanure

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Humanure
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 12:31:55 -0700

. . . a solar black water composter. It sterilized the water part and sent it
to a wetlands area (cat tails, etc.) and then turned the solids to a sterile
ash which you then mix in with your regular compost pile.

Please post any more info you get on this sort of thing. Wetlands are now becoming common for cleaning water. Using the "ash" subsequently is something that could be useful.

Perhaps you'all will remember John Todd's Living Machine designs. I like the one that could be adapted to individual home use, the one that uses serpentine channels of certain plants that uptake all the nutrients in black water. You then put the plants on the compost pile or bury in the garden or use for mulch. In freeze areas you would need to cover the "machine" with a greenhouse cover of some type.

Although I like the various designs, frankly, once people can get past the yuck response, it is much simpler to just put the humanure around fruit trees, berry bushes, etc.