homestead - Re: [Homestead] Humanure

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Humanure
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 20:41:12 EDT

> James knows Sue and Dick of Winona Farms. They compost humanure. I believe
> they have quit a composting business going.

Right, at one juncture they were receiving the county's leaves and tree
trimmings, getting the garbage from several restaurants and grocery stores,
spent
grains from a brewery. Dick was making a composting chamber from a railroad
tank car [don't know if he actually put it in production or not] and a
garbage
boiler from some other monster tank. The chunks of limbs and stumps the
county
was delivering to him powered the boiler and he fed the boiled garbage to
pigs, was recovering some methane from the pig manure, and using the "spent"
manure to activate the other compost mountians.

James

  • Re: [Homestead] Humanure, Clansgian, 05/15/2005