homestead - Re: [Homestead] after the oil- was The specuator factor ..

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] after the oil- was The specuator factor ..
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 21:44:43 EDT

Rob writes:

> Something else
> I saw in the y2k preps was an equal number of people who had all the
> answers and knew nothing was going to happen.
> No one has a crystal ball that I know of, this author could be right. I
> hope not.

I was in the thick of that Y2K business, doing computer work then, that is.
It was fairly clearly demonstrable that nothing was going to happen. I thing
the Y2K craze happened because so many people found it fun.

As far as "having answers" in these cases, I've found one measuring rod to be
most useful --- tell us how it worked when you tried it ... oh you *haven't*
tried it!? During the Y2K debacle people told how they had their generators,
and 55 gal barrels of water, etc. all ready. I encouraged them to take a
long
weekend, go home and unplug the utilities - take out the main breaker and
shut the water and gas off - and see how they fare. Living one's answers is
quite a different affair than musing about one's answers.

James

  • Re: [Homestead] after the oil- was The specuator factor .., Clansgian, 05/15/2005