homestead - Re: [Homestead] Hype

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Hype
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 23:44:09 EDT

Gene writes:

> So hype is based on something other than experience. What is the motivation
> to hype, to carefully emphasize one side of a question and to minimize the
> other?
>
> I find it interesting that I feel a negative connotation while you may not.
> Not sure where my negative reaction comes from. As a wordsmith I like to
> use words of known quality. This one seems to roam around the room seeking
> a spot to sit. Could be positive, could be negative. Perhaps it is because
> of the uncertainty of meaning that I do not use it much.

Webster guesses that it might come from 'hypocricy' but its uses don't ever
seem to support that. I'm guessing 'hyperbole' - 'throw beyond'. And I say
it's simpest meaning is 'promotion'. But as you have demonstrated, the way
people take it is unpredictable so probably best not to use it much, if
you're a
wordsmith. Which I am not much of. More of a 'word composter'.

James

"You are labelling pieces of your world with words, then confusing your
word-hoard for the totality of life. You see life as if you were viewing a
room by
the light of a single moving candle; then you make the error of assuming tht
the small areas you are seeing one at a time are separate and cannot be seen
as one. Since the small areas of your life are thus seen as separate, you
have
to invent ways of connecting them. This is the fallacy of the ordinary
person's view of life, for everything is already connected."

>From Brian Bates' novel "The Way of Wyrd"

  • Re: [Homestead] Hype, Clansgian, 05/15/2005