homestead - Re: [Homestead] The Wok - was The specuator factor ..

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The Wok - was The specuator factor ..
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 21:33:33 EDT

In a message dated 5/15/2005 5:58:19 PM Eastern Standard Time,
genegerue AT ruralize.com writes:

> Hype can include deception. Except when I am being mischievous, I speak or
> write what I believe to be true. Because you ascribe the condition also to
> yourself is not necessarily reassuring. I am sensitive about disparagement
> of my integrity, but before I become upset over nothing, please give me
> your definition of hype as you use it here.

Hype: carefully presenting and emphasizing one side of a question while
minizing the contrary side. In the same vein as playing Devil's Advocate but
not
quite so much like it since hyping might not be in response to something as
DA-ing is.

The reasons for advocating one view of a question vary. I do it to bring the
view into sharp focus and make it a clear and desireable target to shoot
down. If I have a view of something, I am very interested in having it shot
at
because that is the most efficient way to learn more and refine one's view.
And
other reasons. For example, you are a confessed optimist but I wonder what
your view of the notion that there is a serious "housing bubble" would be if
you didn't depend on real estate transactions? It's a koan of course,
unanswerable. 'Believe to be true' is often has a component of 'hope that it
is true'
in with it as the phrase is used now of days.

I too have never said anything on an email conversation that I knew to be
untrue, even to make a point. I am blissfully unconcerned about my
'integrity',
it would just be a terribly inefficient way to promote knowledge and
understanding [while hyping is not, inefficient, that is]. But then again,
the things
I personally know to be true are quite few.

And as far as me believing what I write .... not a word of it! I seriously
doubt the lot. Oh I believe the stuff I say I've done on my farm because I
have the pictures to back it up .... but the rest ... probably just hype.

James