homestead - [Homestead] Homestead sustainability factors

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Homestead sustainability factors
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 09:28:43 -0700

> I strongly suspect that even on this homestead list, a very low percentage
> of gardeners use humanure as fertilizer.

Only because we don't have to.

And there you have it.

Most consumers will not change their wasteful ways until they have to. This occurs through government regulation or rising prices.

I, too, have hauled horse manure to my garden. (The horse people wheelbarrowed it into an old horse trailer and called me when it was full.) Not because I have to, but because I choose to, I no longer import anything essential. I will continue to make Heartwood as much a closed loop as possible. Feeding the garden soil community is in fact the biggest challenge.