homestead - RE: [Homestead] 4 years later ...

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT dtnspeed.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Homestead] 4 years later ...
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 18:56:11 -0600

This gold discussion is interesting, particularly the climbing part:

<<The real issue is why is it climbing. Typically it climbs when there is
unrest somewhere and people want to invest in something of supposed real
value.>>

My foggy old memory seems to be telling me that shortly after gold was
unshackled, it zoomed to around $450 and stayed there for a few years. I
suppose I could do some googling and find out, but I'm feeling lazy.

Inflation is still relatively low. The biggest uncertainty that I can see is
our huge trade imbalance combined with our soaring national debt. At what
point do we become Argentina?

I can't see the folks who are selling to us *and* holding our debt deciding
to collect on their notes all at once. What other country is going to buy
stuff at the rate Americans do? Countries that are selling to us, won't want
to stab the golden (?) goose.

The whole world economy seems to me dependent on buying by USians.

Personally, aside from a self-starting generator like my mother has, I have
all the big ticket (and most of the little ticket) goodies I want for the
next 5 to 10 years. If all their customers were like me, the big retailers
would be in serious doodoo. I suspect that many individuals out there are
like me; I'm on the leading edge of the baby boom, and so far most of what
I've done in life has been reflective of that status. One difference, I'm
still working full-time, but large numbers of people my age and younger that
I work with are retiring -- and have been retiring for the past three years
-- in my part of the world (central Illinois).

Marie, owner of little gold of any kind -- even in her teeth.