homestead - Re: [Homestead] 4 years later ...

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] 4 years later ...
  • Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 17:14:50 -0700

I suspect the times are not really as different as they seem. But yes I agree, skills & tools are more valuable over the long term.
The best thing would be a mixture of precious metals, tools & skills but then most things are a blending rather than black OR white.

I think I reported on The Alpha Strategy earlier for those of you who were playing with toys in the seventies. I just looked it up in Amazon.com and this is the listing: The alpha strategy: The ultimate plan of financial self-defense for the small investor
by John A Pugsley
Availability: Usually ships within 1-2 business days.
81 used & new from $0.50
Edition: Unknown Binding
Other Editions:List Price:Our Price:Other Offers:
Hardcover (2nd) $14.50 191 used & new from $0.32

Half the book is basic stuff about inflation, the Fed, etc. The survival concept is to stockpile certain items that would always be in demand. From memory, I will list some; you will get the idea. Low-value gold and silver coins, alcoholic products, guns, bullets, tools, toilet paper, toothpaste and toothbrushes, soap, shampoo. The sort of things that most homesteaders always have on hand, except for the gold and silver. The idea of having small gold and silver coins was that most purveyors of goods will not be able to make change if the sky has fallen.