homestead - Re: [Homestead] 4 years later ...

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] 4 years later ...
  • Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 11:11:26 -0700

I've read we're going to have a problem no matter what, and what remains to be seen is whether it's an abrupt jump over a cliff, or whether it's a gentler and steady tumble down a long hill. Brought to mind a twisted version of Jack and Jill going up the hill carrying the pail of water. Japan and China have much control over our fate.

Am I being too negative?

Depends on what actions your negativity creates.

Beyond economic cycles, beyond the pendulum swinging back, perhaps this is a natural phenomenon in modern terms, a necessary evolutionary step again underscoring survival of the fittest. Seems to me it is a fine time for we homesteaders to show a bit of leadership. Lead by example. Talk about your successes. Encourage people you know to grow something, even one tomato plant. Maybe the simple reward of fresh tomatoes will lead to a movement in mindset.