homestead - Re: [Homestead] 4 years later ...

  • From: "Toni Hawryluk" <tonihawr AT msn.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] 4 years later ...
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 10:30:36 -0800

Don held onto :
> >There have been times in history when gold or silver would buy someone a
> >way through problems.

... like buying one's way out of military service - - - ? - - -

> There have been many times but these times are different. I personally
> believe that skills and tools are much more valuable than any hard currency.

- - - I remember all too well the observation that :
"a wheelbarrow of (?currency?) ..." (in effect)
was required to buy a minimum of food ..." but my
memory is too ?shot?short? to know which war
that came from ... Some skill will feed one even
if the food must be earned from an oppressor....
"hard times" may not be an "oppressor" in the
accepted sense, but then it stretches across
many levels.