homestead - [Homestead] e pluribus unum - in god we trust - etc.

  • From: "Toni Hawryluk" <tonihawr AT msn.com>
  • To: "Homestead mailing list" <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] e pluribus unum - in god we trust - etc.
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 18:25:43 -0700

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_God_We_Trust

"In God We Trust" is a national motto<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motto> of
the United States of America<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States>. It
was so designated by an act of
Congress<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Congress> in
1956<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1956>, but did not supersede "E Pluribus
Unum<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_pluribus_unum>".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E_pluribus_unum

E pluribus unum is a national
motto<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_motto> of the United States of
America<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States>. Translated from
Latin<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin>, it means "From many, one" or "Out
of many, one." It referred to the integration of the 13 independent
colonies<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/13_colonies> into one united country,
and has taken on an additional meaning, given the pluralistic nature of
American society from immigration. The motto was selected by the first Great
Seal<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Seal_of_the_United_States> committee
in 1776<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1776>, at the beginning of the American
Revolution<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Revolution>. Pierre Eugene
DuSimitiere<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Eugene_DuSimitiere>
originally suggested E pluribus unum as motto. In
1956<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1956>, In God We
Trust<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_God_We_Trust> was added as another
national motto.

http://www.hooverdigest.org/002/novak.html<http://www.hooverdigest.org/002/novak.html>

Thus it happened that the first act of Congress on September 7, 1774, was an
official prayer, pronounced by an Episcopalian clergyman dressed in his
pontificals. And what did he read? He read a

Jewish prayer,

Psalm 35 in The Book of Common Prayer: Plead my cause, O Lord, with them
that strive with me. Fight against them that fight against me. Take hold of
buckler and shield, and rise up for my help. Say to my soul, "I am your
salvation." Let those be ashamed and dishonored who seek my life. Let those
be turned back and humiliated who devise evil against me.

  • [Homestead] e pluribus unum - in god we trust - etc., Toni Hawryluk, 10/19/2004