homestead - Re: [Homestead] Recieved this

  • From: "Toni Hawryluk" <tonihawr AT msn.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Recieved this
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 10:00:58 -0700

> The greed was wealthy people who took out land grants, huge land grants.
> It had nothing to do with the making a fresh start. They thought they
> would make more money, big money. Lynda

"History is written by the victors".

Or occasionally by reality-based persons who
are fed up with sheep who bleat 'follow the leader'
even if the leader goes over a cliff .... or read
without ever learning how to think - which I am
finally doing at my 'ripe ole age' ...

"The Roots of American Civilization"
A History of American Colonial Life by
Curtis P Nettles, Cornell University

tells it like it was, with footnotes right on
each page. History books in educational
systems have been 'patriotic' for entirely
too long ...

My current 'favorite', Page 186 :

" ........Accordingly in 1648 Lord Baltimore -
appointed a Protestant governor and

*sent over to the colony*

a bill which became the famous
(or infamous ?) Toleration Act of 1649.
It guaranteed

freedom of conscience

to all Christians

who respected the rights of the proprietor.
(seems like non-proprietors had no rights ?)
Any person who disturbed a Christian in his
chosen worship should pay treble damages
and a fine of twenty shillings. (yes, they were
still dealing in pounds, shillings, and pence)
Should any troublemaker call a fellow colonial
an offensive name - such as heretic, schismatic,
idolator, popish priest, or roundhead - he was
to be punished by fine or whipping and
imprisonment. The act asserted openly in its
underlying principle of political expediency :
"the enforcing of conscience in matters of
religion hath frequently fallen out to be of
dangerous consequences in those common-
wealths where it hath been practised".

Except for a brief period, 1654-58, the
Toleration Act of 1649 guided the religious
policy of the proprietors, and as a result
the radical Protestants multiplied until they
accounted for three-fourths of the population,
as against a sixth who were Anglicans and
a twelfth who were Roman Catholic. Later,

when the king had taken charge of the
government of Maryland,

the Anglican Church was officially established
in 1692, but it did not attain the supremacy
which it enjoyed in Virginia.

The proprietors of Carolina never achieved
an effective control over their two colonies.

(Get it yet ?)

The division of the proprietary rights among

eight men,

most of whom were preoccupied with other
affairs in England, deprived their councils of
a strong, guiding hand. ................"

When whole States can be 'owned' by
eight men seems like greed to me ....
and what has changed ? Churches and
universities own thousands of acres of