homestead - Re: [Homestead] Recieved this, thought to pass it along

  • From: "Toni Hawryluk" <tonihawr AT msn.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Recieved this, thought to pass it along
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 17:50:59 -0700

> "In God We Trust" is our national motto. This is not some Christian, right
> wing, political slogan. We adopted this motto because Christian men and
> women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly
documented.

Christian ? oops .... :

http://www.hooverdigest.org/002/novak.html<http://www.hooverdigest.org/002/novak.html>

excerpt :

A Common Faith

When our founders talked religiously about politics they borrowed mostly from
the

Jewish Testament,

not the Christian.

Scholars often mistakenly refer to the God of the founders as a deist god.

But the founders talked about God

in terms that are radically Jewish: Creator, Judge, and Providence.

These were the names they most commonly used for him, notably in the
Declaration of Independence. For the most part, these are not names that
could have come from the Greeks or Romans but only from the Jewish Testament.
Perhaps the founders avoided Christian language to avert divisiveness, since
different colonies were founded under different Christian inspirations. All
found common language in the language of the Jewish Testament.