homestead - Re: [Homestead] Bread Addendum

  • From: Rob <becidawa AT hctc.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Bread Addendum
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 11:12:08 -0700

At 10/5/2004 10:21 AM, you wrote:

And a whole 'nother thing to look into is the oven itself -- a really good
bread *can* be baked in a conventional oven but bread really needs hotter
temps than that and that hot oven with enough humidity in it also gives to
your bread something called "oven spring".

Denise

This came off a list and was the first time I'd heard it.
>>...why do indoor oven recipes call for 375 to 400 degrees...<<

These temperatures are in the range for enriched doughs. As an example doughs with sugar, eggs, butter, or milk as part of the ingredients.

Oven temperatures for lean doughs(starter or yeast, flour, water & salt) need to be considerably higher. Long skinny stuff, 475 degrees F., Long & fat or round, 450-425 degrees F.
I have gotten better results from my kitchen oven using the higher temps when I make the basic (flour, water, yeast, salt) bread.

I have to second the recommendation for "The Bread Builders" (Scott & Wing), good book about not just a DIY outdoor wood fired oven but making bread itself.

Rob
becidawa AT hctc.com