homestead - Re: [Homestead] Black Russian Bread Addendum, wheat type, kneading, sourdough mix

  • From: "clanSkeen" <sgian AT planetc.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Black Russian Bread Addendum, wheat type, kneading, sourdough mix
  • Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 08:25:35 -0400

I've been an exclusive sourdough bread baker for a few years now and I
wouldn't put much in what Tvo said about it. I like storing sourdough
starter fairly dry (and always in the fridge), for instance, and freshly
ground rye is the best catcher/refresher of your starter. It is also not
nearly so "unpredictable" -- in fact in my baking I have found it far MORE
predictable if what you want is a good, solid, stable, whole grain bread in
the end.

And that's what is in my bread -- freshly ground whole grain (usually whole
wheat but I can make a 100% whole rye which is a treat but is tricky),
starter (which contains only whole grain flour and water), water, and salt.
No oils, no sugars, no dough conditioners. I think it is pretty cool and it
tastes wonderful.

Anyway, if you want to look more into this, I'd recommend the book The Bread
Builders -- so much more to understand than a recipe!

Denise