homestead - Re: [Homestead] H-1B, L-1 visas

  • From: Tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT infionline.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] H-1B, L-1 visas
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 14:50:37 -0700

Mark Rousseau wrote:

Tvoivozhd wrote:

tvoivozhd---a good idea to allow intelligent rowers into the U.S.lifeboat---but not if it displaces equally intelligent native-born rowers,

Endangered species: US programmers

Yes I read this and oh boy is it so depressing. I work as a programmer and all the work I've done to make things easier in my company to work from home so that I can live a rural lifestyle is probably going to bite me in the paycheck as they switch from me to some cheap foreign worker.

I'm not ready to make the jump to another career yet but am looking for other options that will work for me.

Be the front man for these foreign workers and work with domestic customer's.

Sell Real Estate

Become a Pastor

Lot's of different ones, but I'm not to the point of choosing one yet which will support a family.

-Mark

tvoivozhd---the stupid clot in the Oval Office isn't going to help you. A few States will:, i.e.:

http://www.aecf.org/initiatives/jobsinitiative

http://www.aecf.org/initiatives/jobsinitiative/milwaukee.htm (climbing the economic ladder, what works in Ozaukee county)

http://www.aecf.org/initiatives/jobsinitiative/workingpoor_media.htm (yes, states can, and some actually do lever the working poor out of poverty---don't expect more than babble from the White House--as a substitute for making it possible for ghetto residents to earn a livable income ( not on His radar screen)

But depending upon ANYBODY else is a risky endeavor. If you aren't going to embark one or a small cluster of home manufacturing businesses, as I would, it should be something that REQUIRES face-to-fact time with your clientele (hard to displace that with videoconferencing from India) (like a healthcare technician, or attorney)

I was a licensed Real Estate Broker in Wisconsin, while still in College, and liked it, added tract-development and mass-housing construction because I could control my housing inventory better if I owned it, and it was the tail-wag-the-dog to my two smaller insurance brokerages that two Lesbian employees mad quite profitable I was grateful enough to later sell them the insurance brokerages cheap, and with deferred payment..

Selling real estate is more feasible with your programming skill in setting up and managing a website than it would be for me now---I only had one real competitor in a city of 100,000, and monopolized 25% of real estate transactions by keeping a secretary at the courthouse to record all real-estate related transactions, and kept a detailed record of 25,000 pieces of real estate, together with an equally-detailed record of owners, including ages, birthdays, wedding anniversaries etc. The Devil is in the Details, but if you pay attention to them, the Devil will reward you well..

Gene is a hell of a lot more conversant with the real estate business now, than I am. If you go that route, he would be willing to clue you in on things I forgot or never learned.

The Pastor business is good too, but you have to get higher up the food chain than staring at a 50-person audience---emulate the Swaggarts, Oral Roberts, Jerry Falwells and Pat Robinsons, where YOU control the cash flow instead of holding out your hand to the maggot, er-h-h, magnates for crumbs from their table.

I figure you aren't panicking, but times-a-wasting, and there are a world of opportunities out there to examine and select from.