homestead - Re: [Homestead] Bread Addendum

  • From: "Toni Hawryluk" <tonihawr AT msn.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Bread Addendum
  • Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 09:38:41 -0700

Denise wrote :
> ... "traps" apply only to a not very good method of sourdough propagation,
> ie. liquid on the counter.

"...liquid on the counter ..." "without refrigeration"
is the way I read your post - is this right ? because
that's what I'd *like* ... not necessarily what I
will settle for ...

> I take that back, it is good for pancakes but not for bread. But most
> people don't actually want real whole
grain sourdough bread anyway, so there ya go!

But I do - only I don't want to invest years
in the process of producing it - I'll soon be
70 and sourdough-including-refrigeration is
no longer at the top of my list of priorities.

> ...Anyway, a real fermented sourdough bread has many advantages over a
> regular yeast leavened
bread, including the presence of good bacteria, more bio-availability
(pre-digested iow), not having the single strain yeast the big business yeast
makers have isolated and many people have become sensitized to, etc.

Exactly ! but does the last paragraph above
*depend* on refrigeration to keep the 'ferment'
free of invading bacteria - once I have
achieved a 'result' I want to duplicate ??