homestead - Re: [Homestead] Wild foods and food security

  • From: "Toni Hawryluk" <tonihawr AT msn.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Wild foods and food security
  • Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 09:48:12 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: Gene GeRue<mailto:genegerue AT ruralize.com>

>> Recent work has demonstrated the strong linkages between forests, trees
>> and food security (394-399; 408). This is increasingly being taken into
>> account in the development of forest projects and policies. However the
>> role of wild foods in agricultural systems under stress is less well
>> documented and an acknowledgement of their importance for food security -
>> - - has yet to influence mainstream thinking (703).<<

Yes, indeed, an occasional stray thought
*is* given to the difference between *Forest*
and forest ... but there is so little of *Forest*
being investigated for its future contributions
of *itself* *as is* - providing no immediate
dollars - that the rest of it may vanish the
way the "real" *Prairie* (and bison) did ...