homestead - Re: [Homestead] Stocking up on food

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Stocking up on food
  • Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 13:07:03 -0700

At 10/3/2004, you wrote:

Well, if it wasn't for those damn sleeked-down hoods on vehicles now-a-days, you'd be able to set that ole Dutch oven on the engine block and have your dinner cooked when you finished driving - after checking it at a rest area half-way to where ever ... now where did I read that .... mumble mumble ...

A can set on the valley between the intake manifold and the valve cover will be heated nicely in about 30 miles. Just puncture a small hole in the top and wedge it in place. I used to heat our sons baby food on the heater core of the van. When I was on the farm I would heat food on the tractor engines and cool a Pepsi in the NH3 overflow valve.

Don Bowen
Awl Knotted Up Woodworking
Valley Center, CA http://www.braingarage.com