gmark - Re: Gospel Fiction

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: pmh15 AT cam.ac.uk (Peter M. Head)
  • To: "Kata Markon" <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gospel Fiction
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 10:00:05 +0000

This all looks a bit heavy handed to me.

Perhaps since Professor Gibson owns the list (whatever that means), and
requires all "members" to subscribe to a particular range of views on NT
criticism (far beyond the Gospel of Mark) he should publish a list of those
things which are out of bounds without argumentation and another of those
things which can happily be presumed to be in accord with the assured
results of modern criticism.

Surely the nature of the gospel traditions reflected in both 1 and 2 Peter
*are* relevant to the general issue being discussed (the level of
creativity in the gospel tradition in general), even if our earlier
contributor didn't make the best possible case for it. And ignoring the
Petrine traditions concerning the gospel does not actually account for the
tradition of Papias' elder.

Perhaps the simplest way to deal with perceived incompetence is to let it
slide silently past.

Peter

Dr. Peter M. Head
Tyndale House