gmark - Re: Gospel Fiction

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: JFAlward AT aol.com
  • To: gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Gospel Fiction
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 23:27:04 EST

In a message dated 3/20/01 7:55:09 PM Pacific Standard Time,
jgibson000 AT home.com writes:

<<
First, as far as I know, Peter was not the author of a Gospel nor were the
Epistles attributed to him written with an awareness of, or reference to, our
canonical Gospels. If one wants to make a case based upon the view that they
were,
then this will first have to be argued.

Second, given the academic nature of this List, members are expected, if not
required, to be conversant with NT scholarship. To accept, without further
ado, as
is done here, that 1 Peter, let alone 2 Peter, is Petrine (that is, as from
the
disciple Peter) betrays a fundamental lack of acquaintance with what the
scholarly
consensus is with respect to the date and authorship of these works, and will
result in the poster being recognized as being unqualified to post.

I never believed for a single moment that 1 or 2 Peter was written by the
"Peter" described in the gospels, and I challenge Jeffrey to show where I
gave the slightest indication that I held that belief. If he cannot do so,
he should apologize to me.

Joe Alward