gmark - Re: Gospel Fiction

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Peter Kirby" <kirby AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "Kata Markon" <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gospel Fiction
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 20:25:52 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: Jeffrey B. Gibson <jgibson000 AT home.com>
To: Kata Markon <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2001 1:29 PM
Subject: [gmark] Re: Gospel Fiction

[snip]

GIBSON
> First, as far as I know, Peter was not the author of a Gospel nor were
the
> Epistles attributed to him written with an awareness of, or reference to,
our
> canonical Gospels. If one wants to make a case based upon the view that
they were,
> then this will first have to be argued.

KIRBY
I agree that Peter was neither the author of a Gospel nor of the epistles
attributed to him.

I consider the following in 2 Peter 1:13-14 to be an allusion to John
21:18-19.

2 Peter 1
13 I think it is right to refresh your memory as long as I live in the tent
of this body, 14 because I know that I will soon put it aside, as our Lord
Jesus Christ has made clear to me.

John 21
18 I tell you the truth, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went
where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and
someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go." 19
Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify
God. Then he said to him, "Follow me!"

best,
Peter Kirby