gmark - Re: Gospel Fiction

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: JFAlward AT aol.com
  • To: gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Gospel Fiction
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 00:54:35 EST

In a message dated 3/20/01 9:03:21 PM Pacific Standard Time,
larry.swain AT wmich.edu writes:

Gibson wrote:

To accept, without further
> ado, as
> is done here, that 1 Peter, let alone 2 Peter, is Petrine (that is, as
from
> the
> disciple Peter) betrays a fundamental lack of acquaintance with what the
> scholarly
> consensus is with respect to the date and authorship of these works, and
will
> result in the poster being recognized as being unqualified to post.

=========
Alward responded:

> I never believed for a single moment that 1 or 2 Peter was written by the
> "Peter" described in the gospels, and I challenge Jeffrey to show where I
> gave the slightest indication that I held that belief. If he cannot do so,
> he should apologize to me.

========
Swain adds:

This was implied, though not actually stated when you wrote that your take
on I
Peter 1:16 was that Peter was defending himself and the gospel writers. That
sounds very like Peter of the gospels knows the gospels, the gospel writers,
and
is the writer of the epistles attributed to him, especialy since you cite I
Peter
to explain II Peter. So I see where he developed the impression.

One should also not forget that Jeffrey is the moderator.

Larry Swain

===========
Alward has the last word :)

Jeffrey clearly assumed without good evidence that I believed that Simon
Peter was the author of 1 and 2 Peter, and based on that he all but called me
incompetent. His own rules call for collegial behavior, so before he went
public with his most offensive accusation, he should have contacted me
privately first to determine the facts; it would have been the
professional--not to mention courteous or kind--thing for a moderator to do,
don't you think?

Regards,

Joe Alward