gmark - Re: Gospel Fiction

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT home.com>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gospel Fiction
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 15:29:20 -0600

JFAlward AT aol.com wrote:

> =========
> Swain:
>
> I'm not sure that that was the author's point in 2 Peter. Is he defending
> the
> gospels, or is he maligning the works of other "Christian," Jewish, and
> pagan
> religions? The context seems to me to suggest the latter.
> ========
> I disagree. Peter seems to be defending himself and the gospel writers.
> Peter and Matthew made it clear that Jesus was going to return soon, within
> the lifetimes of some of his disciples.
>
> "But the end of all things is at hand; be ye therefore sober, and watch unto
> prayer. (1 Peter 4:7
>
> "Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste
> of
> death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom." (Matthew 16:28)

[much snipped]

Several things need to be pointed out here -- all of them related to what
appears
to be the abandonment here of the historical critical method -- a method
which,
incidentally, is something that List members are required to respect.

First, as far as I know, Peter was not the author of a Gospel nor were the
Epistles attributed to him written with an awareness of, or reference to, our
canonical Gospels. If one wants to make a case based upon the view that they
were,
then this will first have to be argued.

Second, given the academic nature of this List, members are expected, if not
required, to be conversant with NT scholarship. To accept, without further
ado, as
is done here, that 1 Peter, let alone 2 Peter, is Petrine (that is, as from
the
disciple Peter) betrays a fundamental lack of acquaintance with what the
scholarly
consensus is with respect to the date and authorship of these works, and will
result in the poster being recognized as being unqualified to post.

Third, proof texting -- especially the sort of proof texting that has been
engaged
in here, where points are made by piling up passages from disparate works --
is
not an acceptable method of argumentation on this List. The assumption behind
such
a practice not only does not pay attention to context; it engages in the
worst
sort of petitio principii by assuming a uniformity of meaning between texts
that
most often just isn't there.

Finally, as our protocols state, exegesis of NT texts is NOT to be done on the
basis of any, or a given, English translation of these texts.

Posters who cannot or will not abide by these requirements and/or who, while
wanting to argue a case, continually demonstrate basic unfamiliarity not only
with Markan and NT scholarship, but also with the methods and methodologies
used
by professionals in the filed of NT studies, will no longer have the
privilege of
posting to the List.

Yours,

Jeffrey Gibson