gmark - Re: Gospel Fiction

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT home.com>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Gospel Fiction
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 08:37:09 -0600

JFAlward AT aol.com wrote:

> Swain adds:
>
> This was implied, though not actually stated when you wrote that your take
> on I Peter 1:16 was that Peter was defending himself and the gospel
> writers.
> That
> sounds very like Peter of the gospels knows the gospels, the gospel writers,
> and is the writer of the epistles attributed to him, especialy since you
> cite I
>
> Peter to explain II Peter. So I see where he developed the impression.
>
> ===========
> Alward has the last word :)
>
> Jeffrey clearly assumed without good evidence that I believed that Simon
> Peter was the author of 1 and 2 Peter, and based on that he all but called
> me
> incompetent. His own rules call for collegial behavior, so before he went
> public with his most offensive accusation, he should have contacted me
> privately first to determine the facts; it would have been the
> professional--not to mention courteous or kind--thing for a moderator to do,
> don't you think?

You may very well be right. And I do see how you would take my message as
unduly
harsh. But given

(a) what you can now (I hope) see how others besides myself read your message
as
indicating that you did read **both** 1 **and** 2 Peter not only as if they
were
both written by the **same** author but that they both came from the hand of
the
disciple Peter,

(b) that you didn't use the ordinary scholarly conventions when citing
passages
from these writings (which unlike citing anything from GMatthew, does not
involve
using the reputed author of that work's name when noting what 1 or 2 Peter
"says"),

(c) that you attempted to do exegesis of Greek texts by reference to an
English
translation of them, and

(d) that you engaged in proof texting and took passages out of context to
buttress a claim about what Matthew and "Peter" believed with respect to the
coming of Jesus within the lifetime of his disciples,

I felt not only that I had just cause to wonder about the nature and extent of
your familiarity with NT scholarship and the methods and methodologies for NT
study with which List Members are to be conversant, but that I had no choice
but
to convey my impressions On List.

If I had done so only privately, there was the danger that other List Members
might gain the impression that unfamiliarity with NT scholarship and use of
improper argumentative method and methodology was something that was
acceptable on
Kata Markon.

I trust you understand. But again, I am willing to apologize if it seemed
that I
was too harsh in the way I went about doing what was necessary.

Yours,

Jeffrey Gibson

--
Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)